[MD] a-theism and atheism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:08:41 PST 2010

Hi Dan

Hi Dan:

>  Dan:
>
> Anti-theism requires more than a disbelief in God or gods (atheism).
> It requires first, a belief that theism is harmful to society and
> culture and second, that theism should be controverted in order to
> eliminate the harm it does. It seems clear (to me) that that is what
> Robert Pirsig is on about in the Copleston annotations, as well as
> Verne Dusenberry in his doctoral thesis The Montana Cree: A Study in
> Religious Persistence. So, it is possible for a religious person to be
> anti-theistic in the sense that they realize the harm done by the
> superimposition of one religion over another.
>
> Dan

[Mark]
Dan, I will have to respectively point out that you are talking about
religion, not theism.  If you want to be anti-religion that is fine.  Theism
is a personal belief in a God.  If MOQ claims to be anti-religious
establishment, that is fine.  However, please note that there are many
religions, and those which claim a creator are also many.  So, if MOQ is
anti-Hindu, or anti-Veda, or anti-American Indian, or anti-Christianity,
then it should be stated.

If you are intent on blaming Theism for the ills of humanity, then you are
somewhat misguided.  You should be directing your anger at politics.
 Hopefully MOQ is apolitical, but this stance you profess against religion
does not support such a notion.   In addition if you believe that Quality
has no personal relationship with you, as is thought in theism, then you
have missed the point of Quality.  Quality is a monistic guide, if you can't
consider that in a personal way, then you will always be dealing with
Quality at arms length, as some kind of philosophical premise rather than a
reality.  If you somehow feel separated from Quality then you need to think
about it some more.

Just my opinion of course

Mark

Moq_Discuss mailing list