[MD] Language as trance

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Fri Nov 19 10:29:34 PST 2010

Hi Platt,

On Nov 19, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Platt Holden wrote:

> Marsha,
>
> Thank you. I'm astounded by the coincidence that recent posts from you, Mark
> and John under different subject headings all focus on thought's limits and
> the Buddhist belief that, as Pirsig wrote, "Thought is not a path to
> reality."
>
> Unlike many other thinkers, Pirsig acknowledges thought's shortcomings at
> the outset of Lila. "Quality is essentially outside definition, this means
> that a "Metaphysics of Quality" is essentially a contradiction in terms, a
> logical absurdity." But, he goes on to conclude, "Getting drunk and picking
> up bar-ladies and writing metaphysics is a part of life." Further, in a
> letter to Ant, he rationalized the value of the MOQ by saying, "Finally,
> though it may be argued that a metaphysics that incorporates a central term
> that isn't defined (i.e. Dynamic Quality) isn't a real metaphysics, it can
> also be argued that the strength of the MOQ is its ability to incorporate
> the indeterminate divine within a coherent and logical paradigm."
>
> Here we see admitted that thinking about reality boils down to "argument."
> On the one hand, we have the Buddhist understanding  that reality cannot be
> divided. On the other hand, we have the MOQ understanding based on the axiom
> that some things are better than others, implying a divided reality. The
> irony is that the Buddhist understanding of reality cannot be argued. All
> the Buddhist can say is, "See for yourself."

I think the Buddhist's would say that Conventional Reality is constructed of
interdependent truths (static patterns of value).   And I can see no reason
why some truths wouldn't be judged better than others.  Like the Chinese
behavior in Tibet: not good.   Compassionate behavior:  better.  imho

> Which is why you, I and others find reality in art whose value strikes the
> senses directly, prior to argument, and why those who have sold their souls
> to thought are inclined to dismiss us as "airheads." We threaten their
> deepest beliefs by winking at their arguments and having fun, like Mark's
> brilliant spoof, the "Cheese Theory."

As the weeks have gone by, I find Mark more and more brilliant.

Marsha