[MD] Language as trance

Platt Holden plattholden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:21:59 PST 2010

Hi Marsha,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:29 PM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:

> I think the Buddhist's would say that Conventional Reality is constructed
> of
> interdependent truths (static patterns of value).   And I can see no reason
> why some truths wouldn't be judged better than others.  Like the Chinese
> behavior in Tibet: not good.   Compassionate behavior:  better.  imho

I don't question your knowledge of the Buddhist view. I would simply
observe
the example you give maintains the definition that the symbol "morality"
points to social behavior, i.e., immoral (not good), compassion (better).

As I've said, so long as the meaning of the word "morality" is confined to
ideas of interpersonal relations -- to how we treat one another -- the MOQ
cannot gain the wide acceptance it seeks. The term "morals" seems
to erect a wall the MOQ is almost helpless to overcome except for we lucky
few who challenge not only "Conventional Reality" but also
conventional thought.

Perhaps instead of "Inquiry into Morality," the book in which the
MOQ is laid out might have better been subtitled, "An Inquiry Into Why
the Universe Got Better After the Big Bang."

Platt