[MD] Intellectual Level

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 18:10:14 PST 2010

Arlo said:
I mean, I think Pirsig is a better judge about whether someone
understands his ideas than I am. Do YOU think you're a better judge
of who understands Pirsig than Pirsig? Does this you mean
understand Pirsig better than he understands himself?

John said:
An interesting question, actually.  I'd say its possible.  I'm not sure. But
often others see me more clearly than I see myself.  Often I notice
things about others that they don't notice about themselves, so I can't
just discount the possibility entirely.

Matt:
I think it is not only an interesting theoretical question, but it might be
the most difficult one on the table right now for philosophy (and has
been for a while, whether philosophy knew it or not).  Additionally, I
take it be a practical platitude that we are not always our own best
judges.  The trouble has been with figuring out how to articulate this
to be the case (the theory-question).

Socrates said that a person would never knowingly do evil.  This was
partially an expression of the externalization known as the "daimon,"
a quasi-divinity that intercedes in our action and thinking.  What
commonly gets translated as "passion," the Greek "thumos," is
commonly said to interject itself from the outside.

These Greek efforts to retain a pristine inside to our minds were
transformed by Descartes, who set the stage for the problem (and
probably obfuscated it more than if we had stayed Greek) when he
said that there was nothing we know better than the contents of our
own minds.  Kant's notion of "norms" transformed this sense of an
inviolable internal center called "the mind," and Hegel added a
temporal dimension to these public norms, but nobody until recently
knew how radical the implications of Kant's notion of a "concept"
were, and Freud had in the meantime nearly blown apart the
commonsense intuition we have that we know ourselves pretty well,
and at the very least better than anyone else.  The ability to pull
together Hegel and Freud is now the task ahead of our theorists.

Just a day or two ago, I wrote in a post to Marsha that she had an
inviolable center that I wasn't commenting on, and that I was saying
that "fully in the face of Freud."  This is the big struggle: how do we
articulate the Freudian sense that sometimes we don't know anything
about ourselves, the Hegelian sense that sometimes we only know
later what we meant then, and the common sense that it's my
goddamn brain, how could anyone know what's going on up there if
I don't tell them?

I don't have a potted summary.  I can only say that Robert Brandom
has articulated the most sophisticated analysis of how this can be the
case (first in the first, synoptic part of Tales of the Might Dead, which
complements the systematic understanding of how language works
in his Making It Explicit; and more recently in the three chapters on
Kant and Hegel in Reason in Philosophy).  However, in relationship to
thinkers and what they think about their own thoughts, and what they
think about what others think about their own thoughts, two things
come to mind: 1) if we don't absolutely trust a thinker when they
think an opponent gets them _wrong_, why should we think the
converse? and more generally, 2) I think of what Stanley Cavell said
about John Austin many years ago:

"To accept Austin’s explanations as full and accurate guides to his

practice would be not only to confuse advice (which is about all he
gave
 in this line) with philosophical analysis and literary-critical

description (which is what is needed), but to confer upon Austin an

unrivaled power of self-discernment.  It is a mystery to me that
what a
philosopher says about his methods is so commonly taken
at face value.
Austin ought to be the last philosopher whose
reflexive remarks are
treated with this complacency, partly because
there are so many of them,
 and partly because they suffer not
merely the usual hazards of
self-description but the further
deflections of polemical animus."

I think it is generally the best practical policy to remember that
every statement has to be _read_, and doing that means interpreting,
which means bringing into train a large apparatus of considerations
including intentions, motives, and context (which includes things like
the mood of the speaker or the audience the speech-act is intended
for).  Understanding is never simple, even when it is simple.

And none of these considerations, themselves, speak directly to any
particular issue about a particular thinker.  They just speak to trying
to get what is at issue right (like whether there can be an issue).

Matt