[MD] a-theism and atheism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 19:33:20 PST 2010

Hi Tim,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:51 PM, <rapsncows at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> [Tim]
> so... I was thinking when you said 'trivial' that you might have been
> thinking along the lines of the fact that markings on a ruler, for
> instance, are supposed to represent trivial, non-dimensional points.  I
> wanted to point up the inherent worth, as opposed to triviality, of
> these points in reality.  It is not just separation: but the things
> separated and the separation, all together, ...
>
> so yea, I think this path could be 'better'.
>
> Tim

[Mark]
Did I say trivial?  Can't remember..

Here's another Quality analogy.  The quality of a point in a xy graph does
not exist except for where it is in reference to the axes.  We may think the
point exists, but it only exists by virtue of where it is on a graph, its
descriptors if you will.  In this way, everything is spread out on the axis
of Quality (dimensionality is not important). So what we see is not the
object itself, but its representation within Quality.  However, just with
the points on a graph, we refer to objects as things, not their underlying
position.

In science we collect data points.  Such points represent one of many
possible points and are only symbolic of a function which underly their
pattern.  We create a model to describe such points and their significant
appearance  It is the model which matters not the data points themselves.
 If the model works, then data points should fall within it.

You can't see gravity, but you can measure it with data points like a
falling object, for example.  Gravity is what underlies; the falling object
is gravity at work.  Such data points only serve to describe gravity, they
are not gravity.

Same with Quality and objects.

Just another way to put it, there are many analogies.  Don't take them too
literally, these words are just data points which represent something
underlying which form them and give them meaning.

Mark