[MD] Ah-ha Qua Ah-ha

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:52:43 PST 2010

Dan said to Matt:
Pre-intellectual experience, Dynamic Quality, cannot be understood intellectually. On the other hand, static quality can be intellectually understood, which is how we are holding this discussion in the first place, of course. Yet, by seeking to define the undefined, we are taking ourselves away from whatever "reality" is "really" out there, if you will. Still, that is what we do as human beings. We define the undefined. We can't help it. That is what the practice of meditation and zazen seeks... to instill a sense of quiet to still that inner voice that is constantly chattering, telling us what this means and that means. ...

dmb says:
I agree. Conceptual reality isn't inherently evil or dirty. It's suppose to be helpful and useful. And in a place like this, you just can't function without it. And when it's time to meditate, the hands come off the keyboard and the computer goes to sleep. Then the point is to "lose your mind and come to your senses", as Alan Watts puts it. Like Pirisg, he meditated and he wrote books, although not simultaneously.