[MD] What kind of ethical theory is the MOQ?

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Wed Nov 24 08:35:30 PST 2010

Hi Steve,

On Nov 24, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Steven Peterson wrote:

> Hi Marsha,
>
>> A MoQ'ist, considering the circumstances, would use the best static patterns
>> of value available.
>

> As an MOQer, presumably the MOQer believes that the MOQ itself is one
> of the best static patterns of value available for considering the
> circumstances and making a moral choice.

For me, a MoQ'er, Reality = Quality(unppatterned/patterned).  Do you want to
make this a discussion of an independent self that chooses?

>> Is your question more about how best to intellectualize a hypothetical case
>> without specific circumstances?
>
> No, I am asking how an MOQer approaches the reality of specific cases
> with all their specific circumstances. You can suggest any specific
> example you want. The question is, for whatever that situation is,
> what considerations does the MOQer make in order to decide what is
> moral?
>
> The following are three possibilities for what needs to be considered
> (and there may be others). No either/or is required. The answer may be
> a combination of these or none of them.
>
> 1. Do we consider the consequences of one act as compared with
> another? (consequentialism)
>
> 2. Do we act according to our MOQ defined duty according to general
> principles? (deontology)
>
> 3. Do we act so as to fulfill some external purpose? (teleology)

Whether labeled a 'MoQ'ist,' a 'doctor' or a 'we,' the discussion is of a collection
of ever-changing, interrelated, impermanent, inorganic, biological, social
& intellectual static patterns of value.  The MoQ'ist process would be, considering
the circumstances in a specific case, to use the best static patterns available.
Honestly, I do not think more needs to be decided?  Maybe you can tell me
why one should be required to choose between consequentialism, deontology,
teleology or the likes?  How would such a label make the situation better?

Marsha

___