[MD] a-theism and atheism

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 24 10:14:44 PST 2010

Dear Tim --

> Ham,
> I don't know if this will help things or hurt things for us.  I am
> disappointed too.  Nothing I've said has been insincere.
> I have made nothing but good faith effort.  So, when you say
> 'essence', I read lkrewh, this is because 'essence' seemed to be
> getting in my way.  but even when I replace all your strings of
> letters with strings of my own, I have no way to connect them
> to myself.  so I have snipped what I claim is the ESSENTIAL
> link from me, and asked you to insert it into your framework
> for me, so that I know where I am in your essentialism.  If we
> could have succeeded in that, then I could have perhaps gone
> somewhere with you.  But since we cannot locate each other...
>
> That is where 'I' am, Ham.  IF you can put me in your
> essentialism...how does my dsalkj and aliudspiugfea compare
> to your strings of letters?  Anyway, again, if you cant use mine
> and I can use yours...

All philosophy is a search for what is real, Tim.  The first question to
address is: What is the essence of reality?  So, for me, the word "Essence"
seemed an appropriate name for that ineffable source, as opposed to God (a
being), Quality (a judgment or feeling), or Atman (universal soul).  The
question of "self" -- What am I? -- can be answered only after the nature of
Essence is established, since individuality is derived from (secondary to)
it.

The individual cannot bring itself into existence, is not omniscient, and
does not possess absolute power.  In fact, it has no direct access to it's
essential Source.  You and I stand in the shadow of Essence.  Our very being
is borrowed from the otherness of creation, and our awareness is but a
fleeting sensibility once removed from the Source.  Our only link to Essence
is the Value of which we are sensible.  Simply put, the essence of every
human being is value-sensibiity.  This affords us with a taste of Essence
and enables us to experience otherness as a self-sufficient, ordered system
of things and events in process that represent our value-sensibility.  The
bottom line is: What you and I make of value-sensibility is our
being-in-the-world.

There, in two paragraphs, is my précis for Essentialism.   All I'm asking
from you is a similar outline of your philosophy.  Of course there is more
to Essentialism than can be presented in two paragraphs, as I am sure there
is also for your worldview.  (If you've not already done so, I suggest that
you read my online thesis at www.essentialism.net/mechanic.htm for a
detailed exposition.  It should answer your question concerning "where you
are" in my ontology.)

I'm truly sorry to have confused you with my terminology, Tim.  But, while
metaphysics is difficult to articuate, it makes no sense to conduct a
dialogue in gibberish.  When you're ready to hold a meaningful discussion in
language we can both comprehend, you'll find me more than willing to
correspond in similar fashion.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ham