[MD] What kind of ethical theory is the MOQ?

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:26:09 PST 2010

Hi Marsha,
I believe that Steve's question are appropriate for discussion.  Choosing
the static patterns of value as you state.  How do you do such a thing?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:36 AM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:

> When 'I' use the convention label 'I' I am referring to a collection of
> ever-changing, interrelated, impermanent, inorganic, biological, social
> & intellectual static patterns of value.  The word 'I' is referring to a
> ever-changine process.

[Mark]
Marsha, surely you must think of your sense of I as being constant.  Sure
patterns change, but you are interacting with them.  If the 'I' is
ever-changing, are you experiencing things as somebody inherently different
and are a different 'I' every moment?  How do you operate under these
conditions?

> Because the collection of static patterns of value are changing.  And the
> best choice made can only be determined by the patterns available within
> the event.

[Mark]
Aren't there choices to be made?  How do you choose which pattern has most
value?

>  I have considered it, and believe the self as an ever-changing, collection
> of patterns can never be ignored.  Also the dynamic circumstances may
> have a major affect the event.  To constrain Quality within an absolute,
> generalized conceptual boundary seems totally anti-MoQ.

[Mark]
The idea is not to constrain it, but to expand it.  Your sense of patterns
seems to constrain it.

> Oh, I exist, but as a collection of ever-changing, interdependent,
> impermanent
> inorganic, biological, social & intellectual static patterns of value.  And
> therefore,
> the most ethical choice would always be using the best static patterns of
> value
> available in the event.  How could it be otherwise?

[Mark]
It could be many ways otherwise.  I don't understand your question.  How do
you determine what are the best static patterns of value available in the
event?  Isn't that what we are talking about?

Cheers,
Mark