[MD] Ah-ha Qua Ah-ha

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:39:27 PST 2010

Hi Marsha,

Marsha said:
What exactly do you mean by 'antiauthoritarian relativism.'  Without
explanation those two words seem a mouthful of marbles.

Matt:
You might find a potted understanding of what I mean here:
http://pirsigaffliction.blogspot.com/2007/12/philosophical-antiauthoritarianism.html
The summary begins at the 5th paragraph (and only goes for about 4).
It is a summary of ideas I've been trying to understand since writing
"Philosophologology" and "Pirsig Institutionalized," both in the moq.org
Essay Forum.  I find that what you mean by "relativism" is basically all
I mean by "philosophical antiauthoritarianism," so I tried shoving both
marbles in at once.  I have a mouth a lot more flexible than most, I've
gathered over the years.

Marsha said:
I very rarely get pissed off, so I might ask how you've jumped to the
conclusion that "assertional dominance" (Whatever that is?) "pisses
her off."?

Matt:
Just an observation about a shift in tone that invariably occurs in all
of our conversations.  What typically happens is that you comment
nicely about something I've said, I open my mouth, and you become
progressively more and more defensive and tonally resentful (housed
variously in irony, sarcasm, and imperious questions).  That's just my
first-hand experience, at least.

Marsha said:
The last thing is to tell you I like to intellectualize or I wouldn't be
participating in this forum.  While I appreciate the limitation of
intellectualizing, I enjoy its many benefits.

Matt:
I know.  And I was trying to put my finger on what I sense as a conflict
in your perceived balance between intellectualizing and an appreciation
of its limitations.  Because, for those of us who don't constantly
acknowledge that intellectualizing isn't the whole ball of wax in life, we
get pounced upon by those who think we don't, thereby, acknowledge
it at all.  I think this conflict is an extension of how one conceives of
intellectualizing and the language/experience distinction.

Glad you're enjoying Lear.

Matt