[MD] a-theism and atheism

Platt Holden plattholden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 13:21:58 PST 2010

Hi John C,

But of course, you and I are not to be taken seriously. After all, our
opinions don't arise
from getting good grades in grad school or having the approval of the Great
Author himself. Nor have we done the work necessary to be admitted to the
philosophy club. Thus, our intellectual skills are sorely lacking, and we
have no business challenging much less criticizing our betters in academia.

Yeah, right. Pirsig nailed this arrogant mindset precisely: "First you say
things our way and then we'll listen to you. Phaedrus had heard it before. What
it always means is that you have hit an invisible wall of prejudice. Nobody
on the inside of that wall is ever going to listen to you; not because what
you say isn't true, but solely because you have been identified as outside
that wall." (Lila, 4)

I'm proud to join you and others outside the wall, John.

Best,
Platt