[MD] a-theism and atheism

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Wed Nov 24 18:50:57 PST 2010

[John]
Ok, now I'm gonna argue  a bit.  goody.  "Words in a book", Arlo?  Even a novel
is more than "words in a book" and a metaphysics is much more than that  (talk
about reductionist)

[Arlo]
Well I was reacting with my personal dislike of the term "The MOQ". I am more
okay with "Quality-ism" or something that covers the different responses and
recontextualizations of Pirsig's seminal ideas. "The MOQ" makes it sound like
there is One MOQ out there and our "job" is to evolve it. I've used the analogy
with Bo that there is this One True MOQ out there and he and Pirsig and I and
Ant are just groping around trying to interpret "The MOQ". I don't think this
is a good way of thinking about this.

Of course the field of inquiry we are all part of is more than words in a book,
in the same way "Pragmatism" or "Radical Empiricism" is more than words in a
book. The are living, evolving narrative of analogies responding to experience.

[John]
But I think the MoQ stands out quite a bit in fact, from the normal development
of most metaphysical systems, which are usually highly technical conversations
or reactions placed in academic systems.

[Arlo]
I understand there is a lot of "those damned interlictials" going on, all these
stoopid perfessers and their commie ideas mucking up the world for freedom
loving free thinkers. And while there are valid criticisms of the Academy,
there is a reason why the enormity of historical philosophical dialogue
occurred within its halls. Even in the Buddhist tradition, scholarly discipline
was held within "walls" where the history of the dialogue could be seen,
examined and debated. The "walls" are a necessary immune system that keeps out
viruses and parasitic patterns. Yes, like any immune system it can function too
tightly, no one would say otherwise.

But to demonize the immune system is to champion cancer. When the body can
longer distinguish between viruses and harmless (or helpful) organisms, it
quickly dies. The Academy built its immune system because of the extreme risks
and cancer offered by the social patterns whose control it had to overcome. It
HAD to ensure that The Church could not "squelch" Copernicus' ideas, and it has
been under relentless assault from social power ever since.