[MD] Rorty and Mysticism

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 17:30:37 PST 2010

DMB said:
Come on, Matt. Do you really think my present tone is so
objectionable? Where is the ill-will in the post you're replying to? Isn't
it more likely that old grudges are weighing things down? And even if
my posts were dripping with profanity and abuse, they're still just
words. I try to be sympathetic to these concerns, but I think I'm pretty
good at using whatever tone is appropriate to the situation. Since I
disagree with you, I use a disagreeable tone. Anything else seems like
forced, fake pandering and I'm not going to do that. If that's a deal
breaker for you then I just have to live with that.

Matt:
This is, apparently, another place we disagree.  For two people who
have a history as ours, I do believe the licenses you take in tone are
poorly chosen _if_ your primary goal was the respectful exchange of
philosophical opinions.  It has led me to believe that you have a poor
interpersonal sense--not a necessary prerequisite for good thinking,
as you tirelessly point out, but probably for good conversations with
strangers.  If you truly think that to not choose the tone you so often
do would be to pander, and are not just scoring cheap (ironically
Platonic) rhetorical points (which is what most people seem to think
you enjoy doing most, which is why you are gaining a bad
reputation), then I think you have a black and white view of the world
of interpersonal situations, and would wish you more sensitivity in
that arena.  You don't have to say "asshole" to behave like one.

DMB said:
I'd like to suggest that my "catty exhortations" ought not be dismissed
as merely "catty". If memory serves I used the word "incorrigible" as
part of a more sustained and substantial explanation of the problem
and I was specifically saying that the problem was NOT with your
intelligence.

Matt:
Let me try stating my point again: since you _say_ that the problem
is not with my intelligence, yet I still (apparently) do not understand
what you are going on about, then you are implying one of two things:
1) that I _am_ too stupid or 2) that I am willfully not understanding.
(1) comes about because you must at some point say that I am blind
to what you are saying, a form of Pirsig's immune system/lens
argument, but because the notion of communication means you have
laid out in front of me all of the pertinent inferential connections that
a person should need to understand, then that means I'm not a skilled
enough negotiator of inferential connections to follow you, i.e. I'm not
smart enough to understand you.  (1) is a consequence of your
certainty that you are skilled enough at articulating these inferential
paths so that the onus _must_ be on me (also partly a consequence
of the apotheosis of the "plain style," a style that implies the user is
being necessarily clear).

The generalized form of (1), the implied stupidity of others, is rarely
an implication of my conversational style because I try to leave a lot
of room for the possibility that 1) the thoughts I'm attempting to
articulate are larger then the space I'm alotted (and so are
incomplete, and therefore understandably obscure), 2) the thoughts
I'm attempting to articulate are more complicated than I can handle,
or 3) even if the thoughts aren't terribly complicated, I might yet be
a poor communicator.  I try to evince a conversational manner in
which the onus of understanding is not shifted entirely upon my
interlocutor.  I hope my manner is something like, "I'm doing what I
can, and I don't ask for anything more from my reader than what
they can."  If the first of the three attempted implications of my
manner seems arrogant ("Oooo, look at my ideas, they are _huge_"),
then it's an arrogance I'm willing to risk, partly because I think all of
the ideas that anyone is here handling are big and mighty, but partly
because I think it's less misleading than promising that good ideas
are simple, or than promising that the idea I just articulated should
be perfectly clear to anyone.

(2), that I'm willfully not understanding what you are saying, implies
a maliciousness on my part.  It should be obvious how this implies
ill-will on your part.

Further, you often imply or say explicitly that I don't (or at some of
your more extreme moments of cheap grandstanding, _have never_,
covering your tracks as we might with "that I remember") explain
myself, or this or that particular point.  Sometimes this maneuver is
warranted, and I have been much less likely to explain myself to you
lately, but that's only because I've tried so hard for years previously.
And, I have littered around my website remnants of our
conversations at
 just the point before they fall apart, or where I
have tried to
explicate some things you say I never do.  I have
referred you to them
before: what more do you want?  So what do
you hope from this tactic except scoring cheap rhetorical points
(which to me at least again implies ill-will)?  On top of the "you don't
explain yourself" you mount the "you are unnecessarily obscure"
complaint, but if the obscurity is all I have on these particular points,
what, again, do you hope from the grandstanding?

DMB said:
This is the point that I really hope you won't dismiss: I think that bad
lens is what keeps you from understanding pure experience as Pirsig
means it. His central term become a form of Platonism in your
Rortarian imagination.

Matt:
Let me say this as plainly as possible, because I'm not sure we've
quite been communicating that well on this point: I think I can
construe "pure experience" as Pirsig means it as a perfectly fine
piece of non-Platonism.  Pirsig, for the most part, doesn't bother me.
What bothers me most of the time is the use to which the phrase
"pure experience" is put in other people's sentences.  This patten of
bad (or at the very least obscure) usage leads to the creation of a
category called "the rhetoric of purity"--it's not the concept of "pure
experience," exactly, that is my concern, it is the notion of "purity"
that people start thinking implies a lot of (what I think of as) bad
notions.

This "criticism," if that's what you want to call it (I wouldn't), of the
concept of "pure experience" is not terribly concrete: it's based,
largely, on what people _can_ do with it, rather than something
stronger like what the concept _must_ be.  But I don't have anything
stronger up my sleeve (partly because I think it is rhetorical usage all
the way down, as Pirsig does).  I've tried to explain to you how I
understand Pirsig's concept, but you still think I'm missing something.
I can't make out what that thing is: to me your explanations are
either perfectly non-Platonic, or just more Platonic-baiting, more
pieces of rhetoric that I think are risky when held by lesser hands.

One question that I've never understood is why I _need_ to describe
one kind of experience as being "pure."  I've never understood why
this certain slate of distinctions between one kind of experience and
another is demanded as a necessary part of my philosophical
equippage.  That's the question I've never received answers that
I've found very satisfactory (from anybody).

DMB said:
It just seems like such a senseless tragedy that smart Pirsig fan who
works in the academic world could misconstrue Quality the way you
have. When I think of all the students you'll ever teach and all the
writings you'll ever write... Seriously. I'm just sick about it.

Matt:
Seriously?  You think Steve will be a bad math teacher and I'll teach
composition poorly because we don't really understand why we need
to describe one kind of experience as "direct" or "pure" or
"pre-intellectual"?

See--that is either a cheap rhetorical point, or a "Yikes.  Pirsig
would've never have thought that."

Matt