[MD] Intellect vs. Intellectualism

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 10:26:16 PST 2010

Hi Mark,

btw, I've not posted some longish replies you've inspired, because... well,
they just got too longish and I'm tired of being moderately rejected.  But
just know then, that you have inspired me to keep striving.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM, 118 <ununoctiums at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> In regard to your post below.  There seems to be a disregard for things
> such
> as feelings which somehow separates them from the intellectual aspect of
> being.  It is difficult to actually separate the two.

John:

Yes, I agree and is the main gist of my contention which is that the 4th
level isn't a yang-like intellect dominating all lower forms of evolution,
but a blending of classic/romantic - yin and yang inseperability which
combines the two always - the formulations of art and science, heart and
head,  in infinite play.

Mark:

> If anything, the
> intellect is the expressive societal portion of human behavior.

John:

It seems to me that what the intellect does is take the social patterns of
its being, and creatively reimagines and recreates them.  But not in a
coldly isolated intellectual way, but  along with a certain artistic sense
of what is better which guides our science always.

Mark:

> In terms of Quality choices, it is sometimes instructive to separate
> feeling
> from emotions (just labels to use a knife with).

John:

Yes, I hadn't thought about that much before I started this book I'm
currently reading, but on an even more basic level there's  a distinction
that is very interesting - the distinctifying between sensation and
perception. Sensation is chaotic and unformed until a rationale is put upon
sensation and a perception is born.  The mistake so many make is thinking
that their perceptions are just given by the objects in themselves.  This is
the root fallacy of Objectivism.

Now, if we take the perception formed and formulate an attitude towards it,
we have an emotion.  This arises from an even more complicated rationale
that relates our self to the surrounding social milieu.

Is how I'm thinking these days.

Mark:

So much for my little essay in psychology.  In the end, there is no
> difference between the intellect, and that which consider to be other.  If
> anything, it is a continuum from personal to societal.  The push between
> these two creates the conversation.

Thanks as always, for yours, Mark.

John