[MD] Intellect vs. Intellectualism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 15:34:40 PST 2010

Hi John,

I find your posts inspiring as well, leads me to new thoughts and adventures
of the mind.  Some Quality stuff below your post..

> John:
>
> Yes, I hadn't thought about that much before I started this book I'm
> currently reading, but on an even more basic level there's  a distinction
> that is very interesting - the distinctifying between sensation and
> perception. Sensation is chaotic and unformed until a rationale is put upon
> sensation and a perception is born.  The mistake so many make is thinking
> that their perceptions are just given by the objects in themselves.  This
> is
> the root fallacy of Objectivism.
>
> Now, if we take the perception formed and formulate an attitude towards it,
> we have an emotion.  This arises from an even more complicated rationale
> that relates our self to the surrounding social milieu.
>
> Is how I'm thinking these days.

[Mark]
I agree.  I believe a useful way to look at the experience is to view the
brain and body as interacting with the environment.  Both are constantly
changing, neither is static with the moment.  This is kind of a Zen approach
(or Quality in my view) to the whole thing.  At the boundary of the
interaction, we are both the environment and the sensor (get is sensei?).
 So, it is difficult to separate this as the viewer and viewed.  In the
moment we are the sum total of it all.  Later we take on a perspective and
talk about it.

The attitude, in my view, is about the only thing we have some control over.
 Sometimes this takes practice, but any sort of view (such as Buddhism) is
one of attitude.  Nothing else has changed but the viewpoint.  Quality
introduces itself into that attitude, where choices are made.  So, there are
good attitudes and bad, and I think we know the difference.  When we say "I
feel this way BECAUSE..." we have confined the attitude into dogma and
chosen to view the world in the past tense.  Good attitude is high quality.

Interesting how in ZMM, Pirsig (Phaedrus) states that he used to view the
world in the Romantic way (Phaedrus), but that he now (as he narrates the
story) views it in the Classical way.  I found Lila to be more of a
Classical treatment of the subject.  Perhaps one has to be in the moment for
a romantic appreciation.  Once reflected and analyzed for publication, it
becomes classical.  When we read the books we are interacting in the
romantic way (just like me reading and writing these posts), but then we
have to organize it for perspective.  There are some in this forum (in my
opinion) that are stuck in the classical interpretation of Quality.  All
these labels and connections, stamps and hooks, like some meat hanging in
the abattoir.

Yours,
Mark