[MD] The other side of reified

Andre Broersen andrebroersen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:13:38 PDT 2011

Guest: Hello Marsha, what are you up to?
Marsha: The MOQ. I have learned that I am an ever changing static
pattern of values.
Guest: That sounds interesting!
Marsha: Yes it is. I can be what I want to be.
Guest: Oh, I wish I was like that.
Marsha: But you are! You just don't realise it!!
Guest: Oh, tell me more.
Marsha: Well, you know, even though we think we are what we are, this is
really a reified concept of ourselves, because we really are different
and ever changing.
Guest: You use such difficult words.
Marsha: Not really. One commentator on Buddhism talks about it all the
time so I am quite used to it. And this idea also refers to James and a
lot of other things. Even Pirsig.
Guest: Wow Marsha!!! You know all these people? Oh my God, you are so
clever.
Marsha: Yea, and that is my hang up about the MOQ because its way of
thinking is also full of reification...so I really do not agree with the
author. I need to improve on it and tell them so.
Guest: Wow Marsha. You criticise the author?!! Boy, you must be very
clever!!! Have you read much?
Marsha: No, I just go by my own experience. I have no idea of James' or
for that matter Pirsig's understanding but I know and agree with what
Wallace is talking about. Wallace is the man. He agrees with my experience.
Guest: Who is Wallace?
Marsha: Oh, he's just a Buddhist interpreter who says that reification
seems to possibly lie WHEN the world we live in is treated as an object.
Now this MAY lead to the TENDENCY of GENERALLY seeing everything as
reified. I mean, WHEN you see men in GENERAL to have big dicks NEARLY
all the time and mathematically NEARLY all men have an extreme
DIFFICULTY to maintain these, realising the TENDENCY of men in GENERAL
to not display this TENDENCY NEARLY all the time I am convinced that
this is really something that is happening NEARLY all the time. This is
DIFFICULT but I am convinced NEARLY all the time that my TENDENCY
towards this is NEARLY always right.
Guest: Oh Marsha, you are so clever! Are you deep into Buddhism?
Marsha: No, not much. I do sit on a cushion though...sometimes.
Guest: Then what?
Marsha:I discover that I am an ever changing pattern of values.
Guest: Oh Marsha, you sound so poetic.
Marsha: I don't care what you think of me. All your ideas about me are
just your own projections. I am a conventional girl, ever changing.
Guest: Marsha you use such difficult words. You are so clever.
Marsha: I don't care what you think of me. Read Chapter fourteen in LILA.
Guest: Marsha!!! You know that chapter by heart?
Marsha: Whatever you think I am.
Guest: But Lila was biologically fine, I mean he spent a whole night
with her. Socially she's very low down the scale...she's a fucking whore
and intellectually she's nowhere. I have just read this in the book you
gave me.
Marsha: I don't care what you think of me. Whatever you think is a
projection of your own. Popcorn my dear?

I thank dmb dearly for providing the passes which could easily be headed in.
Enjoy your posts dmb. They are excellent, as usual.
Andre