[MD] The other side of reified

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:48:22 PDT 2011

Hi Ham,
I would agree with you.  Radical empiricism is anything but
metaphysics.  In fact it is the antithesis of metaphysics.  This is
why it is termed radical, not because it is a new kind of empiricism,
but because it is empiricism taken to its maximum definition.  So,
when Ron or dmb speak of your metaphysics being abstract, I would say,
"well, of course, that's why it is called metaphysics and not
science".  But any metaphysics has to be born from actual data.  We
cannot conceive of anything but what we experience.  In the same way
that the number series is based on experience, and then becomes
abstract symbols which are totally unconnected with their origins.  We
can conceive of the concept of negative two when we take two things
away.  However, negative two has no empirical grounds to it at all.
It is less than zero, and where does that put it?  Certainly not in
the empirical realm.

In my opinion, Pirsig has no idea what is meant by mysticism.  James
has a much better idea since he spoke with many mystics while
researching "The Varieties".  But even then, James must speak of such
a thing as a third person.  For even if he was a mystic (which I
believe he was), it is not something one can write about in a book,
except indirectly.  Pirsig, in his naivete on the whole subject,
compares it to being on peyote, which could not be farther from the
truth.  While peyote is a tool, it does not create the mystical
experience.  So, any time I read the word "mystic" being used in some
fantastic capacity, I can only smile.  Much of our daily life is
mystical.  It only becomes not-so, when we communicate about it.

Cheers,
Mark