[MD] The other side of reified

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 06:50:41 PDT 2011

Hi Joe,

I am not sure what words you are referring to.  The word mysticism has
many meanings, and I do not consider it to be meaningless.  One can
look it up on the internet.  I am using this word as "direct
experience.  I think this is the same way the W. James uses it.
Pirsig may be using it as the "pre-intellectual", a term which I do
not believe is appropriate.  When I state that much of our daily life
is mystical, I mean that much of it is experienced directly.  We
experience it indirectly through the words of others.  As such, words
become vicarious and not direct experience.  Mystical can be equated
to DQ as opposed to sq, and much of our experience is through DQ, not
through static representations.  These representations are used to
communicate experience.

Mathematics is used to represent.  As such, referring to your use of
evolution, it can be used to represent it.  Such representation is
considered as defining the manifestation of levels.  My background is
in biological physics, and I use math as a tool for investigation and
representation.

I hope this clears up my thoughts on the subject.

Cheers,
Mark