[MD] The other side of reified

Joseph Maurer jhmau at comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 12:03:27 PDT 2011

On 6/5/11 6:50 AM, "118" <ununoctiums at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 6/2/11 8:48 PM, "118" <ununoctiums at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> In my opinion, Pirsig has no idea what is meant by mysticism.  James
>>> has a much better idea since he spoke with many mystics while
>>> researching "The Varieties".  But even then, James must speak of such
>>> a thing as a third person.  For even if he was a mystic (which I
>>> believe he was), it is not something one can write about in a book,
>>> except indirectly.  Pirsig, in his naivete on the whole subject,
>>> compares it to being on peyote, which could not be farther from the
>>> truth.  While peyote is a tool, it does not create the mystical
>>> experience.  So, any time I read the word "mystic" being used in some
>>> fantastic capacity, I can only smile.  Much of our daily life is
>>> mystical.  It only becomes not-so, when we communicate about it.
>> <snip>

Hi Mark,

Pirsig proposes a DQ/SQ basis of metaphysics.  And then you write he has no
idea what is meant by mysticism.  You must be defining "mysticism" in the
light of SOM metaphysics, as a mathematical language and only initiates who
have studied Mathematics long and hard can experience it.

James has a much better idea?  Mystics??

For even if he was a mystic (which I
>>> believe he was), it is not something one can write about in a book,
>>> except indirectly.  ?????????

Etc.,etc, etc.   You use words in a strange way.

Joe