[MD] The other side of Value

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:38:09 PDT 2011

Hi Ham,

It is confusing.  At one point Joe was stating that emotions were DQ.
He has changed his position and now states that DQ/sq is an
explanation for emotions.  By this I think he means the interaction of
DQ and sq.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Ham Priday <hampday1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi Joe --
>

> I had asked for an explanation of what you meant by the statement
> "In a DQ/SQ metaphysics there is something indefinable.
>
> You replied:
>>
>> ... I find the "indefinable" full of meaning, since it forces me to
>> ask: How do I know?  If I reply "I just know", and someone
>> else says "I just know something different there is no way to
>> resolve the conflict.  In a DQ/SQ environment we can say
>> "You are not looking at a metaphysical order" and the reply to
>> that is that I am a dummox or full of it, or it's indefinable but
>> I still know it since I am created knowing the indefinable,
>> like emotions.
>>
>> As far as revealing the indefinable do you understand a DQ/SQ
>> formulation of metaphysics as a more complete explanation of
>> emotions?  Or are emotions a girlish manifestation?
>
> I don't understand DQ/SQ as an explanation of "emotions" at all.  Emotions
> are psycho-somatic reactions to experienced events, such as joy, fear,
> anguish, sadness, hatred, and compassion.  As with most novelists, Pirsig
> does not explicity refer to emotional responses in his narratives, but
> leaves them to the reader's imagination.  Nor does the MoQ define them as a
> level or patterns of Quality.

[Mark]
I think that Joe is stating that emotions are the pre-intellectual
sensibilities and are thus close to DQ.  These are then defined
through sq.

> Emotions are not gender-specific, as far as I know, so your reference to
> "girlish" escapes me.  But if you are hung up on emotions, or are looking
> for a definitive description of human emotional response, I would suggest
> psychology as a better source of information than philosophy.
>
> Certainly emotional feelings are a component of value sensibility as they
> are in all experience.  Since Value is the affinity of the negated self for
> its estranged Source, the emotions involved are typically love, awe, or
> desire.  They express the state of the psyche on contemplating beauty,
> goodness or virtue which experientially represent our need for spiritual
> (i.e., essential) fulfillment and inspire us to seek their ultimate Source.
>
> I hope I've answered your question, Joe.

[Mark]
I think you did.  I would like Joe, once again, to explain what he
means by emotions.  I think he is using the term in a nontraditional
manner.

Cheers,
Mark