[MD] The other side of Value

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:36:10 PDT 2011

Hi Joe,
I see psychology as a metaphysics since it present a reality.  That is
a metaphysics of the mind.  There are many different forms of
psychology metaphysics, and I prefer that which is presented by Carl
Jung.  It agrees with MoQ in many ways.

In my opinion, metaphysics is the study of what IS, or Reality.  I
would agree that enlightenment does not fit within Western psychology.
 However, if you read the Pali Canon, there is much Eastern psychology
there.  This does include what is termed "enlightenment".  In our
Western culture we call this a paradigm shift.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Joseph  Maurer <jhmau at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Mark and all,
>
> I do not agree that psychology is a metaphysics.  Psychology is a
> metaphysics only by analogy.  Psychology is the discipline for studying the
> manifestations of sentient beings.
>
> Metaphysics is the study of order, including psychology. Evolution is a
> description of levels in existence. Heroic enlightenment is beyond the usual
> psychological levels and posits evolution to higher emotional and higher
> intellectual levels for intelligibility.
>
> The definition for 1 at an intellectual level, does not deny further levels
> in the evolution of consciousness to higher emotional and higher
> intellectual levels, the purview of heroes.

[Mark]
I am not sure if consciousness evolves. For me consciousness is akin
to Quality.  It's static presentation may appear to evolve, and the
brain may slowly evolve to present consciousness in a new way.  Have
you read Heros of a Thousand Faces by Campbell?  Good treatise of the
subject.

Mark