[MD] Words and concepts

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Wed Jun 8 22:35:17 PDT 2011

On Jun 8, 2011, at 7:04 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> "Definitions are the FOUNDATION of reason. You can't reason without them." (Emphasis is Pirsig's. ZAMM, page 214.)

Marsha:
I use a dictionary all the time.  I agree that you cannot reason without definitions.  How bright of you to understand that.

> "A metaphysics must be divisible, definable and knowable, or there isn't any metaphysics." (Pirsig in Lila, page 64.)

"Since a metaphysics is essentially a kind of dialectical definition and since Quality is essentially outside definition, this means that a 'Metaphysics of Quality' is essentially a contradiction in terms, a logical absurdity."  (LILA, Chapter 5)

___