[MD] Words and concepts

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 10 06:30:53 PDT 2011

"Definitions are the FOUNDATION of reason. You can't reason without them."
(Emphasis is Pirsig's. ZAMM, page 214.)

"A metaphysics must be divisible, definable and knowable, or there isn't any
metaphysics." (Pirsig in Lila, page 64.)

Ron:
Note to interested contributer:
This response is intended to provoke a dialog on the topic of clarity within our
understanding
of what these quotes mean to a philosophic position that supports a Pragmatic
point of view.
It is an attempt to "advance the ball" on what is meant by making the first
intellectual distinction
of experience into static and dynamic Quality.

The primary value distinction, in a metaphysics of value, which is an
intellectual pattern predicated
on value distinction (and let us reinforce this statement as to being no
misunderstanding about what we
mean) is experience and explanation of experience. In explanation a distinction
may be drawn
between reflection and non reflection. Decisions/action based on reflection
often are more succesful
than those that are not. And when we then again make the distinction between
what is best in terms
of reflection we begin to explore concepts and words meaning abstractions, the
consequences of
reification..ect.

I believe starting the dialog from this point of understanding would lead to
some interesting discussions
such as the crafting of meaning from concepts and words and what is best and
why.

Often the rhetorical device is brought into play of not having to make sense in
a philosophical, reflective
conversation because what they mean is outside of languages conceptual ability
to entirely, wholy
and absolutely encapsulate and ultimately define what they mean.
This is regularly confused with explanations of the ineffiable appearing as
cryptic and enigmatic
to those not "in the know". Their arguement being more based on the consequences
of
esoteria rather than the ouright rejection of meaning they believe thay are
defending.

And the confusion grows from there.