[MD] cloud of probability

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:15:44 PDT 2011

Hi Dan,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Dan Glover <daneglover at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM, david buchanan <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Marsha said:
>> ...at the moment, I think the best answer would be: all-that-is-opposite-from-non-gravitation, and I sometimes visualize the pattern as a cloud of probability.
>>
>>dmb:
>>
>> "Definitions are the FOUNDATION of reason. You can't reason without them." (Emphasis is Pirsig's. ZAMM, page 214.)
>>
>> "A metaphysics must be divisible, definable and knowable, or there isn't any metaphysics." (Pirsig in Lila, page 64.)
>
> Dan:
>
> Exactly. Come on, Marsha and Mark. If you want to know what
> gravitation is, look it up. Or even better, try reading ZMM... or
> re-reading it, or whatever it takes to get the ideas contained there
> to sink in.
>
> Good God almighty...

Good God indeed.  In ZMM the term "gravity" is mentioned as a ghost.
There is really no mention of what the term means.

In my opinion, physics is a discipline within metaphysics.  That is,
it describes a reality of "what is".  As such it falls prey to the
many issues that any metaphysics does, as presented by RMP.  I have
read ZMM many times over the years and my copy is well-worn.

If I look up gravitation in the physics of metaphysics, I am presented
with an equation.  This can be one of acceleration, attraction, or
potential energy if one uses Newtonian physics.  These are all
descriptions of a phenomenon, and not of gravitation itself.  In this
way, gravitation does not exist except through its presentation
through its effects.  This would be similar to Quality, which can only
be discerned through its expression, and not directly.

Originally I used the term in order to understand what Marsha meant by
Process.  Since Gravitation and Quality are similar in their uses in
metaphysics, I was wondering whether Quality was a process.  What are
your thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,
Mark