[MD] som unplugged - corrected lines

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 10 08:19:40 PDT 2011

  "Discussing illusions plays such a big role in the Perfection of Wisdom
literature because the Buddhist texts state that there is a close connection
between the existence of illusion and the existence of suffering.  According to
the Buddhist worldview, the existence of suffering is neither a necessary
feature of the world nor the consequence of a specific fact about the past (such
as the fall of Adam), but is rather due to an intellectual error that is
mistaken about the way things exist.  Suffering is produced by a wrong view of
the world, a view that is in fact so much part and parcel of our habitual way of
thinking that we are not aware of its perspectival nature any more.  More
worryingly, the mere intellectual insight into its falsity does not mean that
the illusion goes away, in the same way that mere intellectual insight that the
two line in the diagram below are the same length does not alter the fact that
the lower line appears to be longer.

  <--------->
  >---------<

"That's why the absence of suffering last night seemed so ominous and her
 change to what looked like suffering today gave Phaedrus a feeling she
was getting better. If you eliminate suffering from this world you
eliminate life. There's no evolution. Those species that don't suffer
don't survive. Suffering is the negative face of the Quality that drives
the whole process. All these battles between patterns of evolution go on
within suffering individuals like Lila.
And Lila's battle is everybody's battle, you know?"-Lila

"Another immoral way of killing the static patterns is to pass
 the patterns to someone else, in what Phaedrus called a
'karma dump.' You invent a devil group, Jews or blacks or
whites or capitalists or communists - it doesn't matter -
then say that group is responsible for all your suffering,
and then hate it and try to destroy it. On a daily personal
level everyone has things or people they hate and blame for
their suffering and this hatred and blame brings a kind of relief."-Lila

  "The aim of the Buddhist enterprise is therefore not just to show that all
things are like illusions because the way they appear is different from the way
they are.  Its aim is to bring about a complete change in how we perceive and
conceptualize phenomena.  In this way ignorance is cleared away and, one hopes,
suffering will completely disappear."

    (Westerhoff, Jan, 'Twelve Examples of Illusion)

> Marsha:
> I suggest the primary goal of RMP for the West, with his presentation of the
>MoQ, is to overcome a subject-object-metaphysics.  Has this topic become
>unplugged?

___

Moq_Discuss mailing list
Listinfo, Unsubscribing etc.