[MD] cloud of probability

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:09:59 PDT 2011

Hi Dan,
Thank you for your response.  I read the passage you provide over 35
years ago (my how time flies).  I understood it then, and chose to see
the world that way.  Many of us conspired in this at that time, and
all went different directions with their thoughts.  Mine took me to
dark places that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but I escaped the
temporary paranoid fate of Pirsig's travels, and did not need my brain
reset.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Dan Glover <daneglover at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Originally I used the term in order to understand what Marsha meant by
>> Process.  Since Gravitation and Quality are similar in their uses in
>> metaphysics, I was wondering whether Quality was a process.  What are
>> your thoughts on this subject?
>
> Dan:
>
> Well, first of all, I don't think you're grasping the significance of
> what RMP is saying about gravity in ZMM, so please allow me to quote a
> few lines:
>

> ``Why does everybody believe in the law of gravity then?''
>
> ``Mass hypnosis. In a very orthodox form known as `education.'''
>
> Dan comments:
>
> Now, when we think of gravity (or the law of gravity, they're
> interchangeable) we tend to think of a physical process, which is what
> you seem to be doing. The meaning of the term "gravity" isn't you
> falling down when you trip, though. The meaning of gravity is all in
> your head. It is a ghost of reason. It is the result of your
> indoctrination, otherwise known as education, informing you on the
> nature of the world.

[Mark]
Yes, gravity is a physical process.  Gravitation is a broader concept.
 Gravity is to gravitation as revolt is to revolution.  I would agree
with you on the indoctrination part of it.  In my opinion, all of
static quality is from lengthy indoctrination in the West.  That is
why it is so hard to get away from it.  We are not informed on the
nature of the world, we are taught what others see it as.  This
particularly came to light in China, when there was a strict
re-education policy in place.  Russia did the same thing by rewriting
history.  Indeed, the same thing happens in the United States,
depending on who is in power.  There are more ghosts than just that of
Reason, and it is called a Church by RMP for a reason (no pun
intended).  The panick induced by yelling "Fire" is another type of
ghost.

> What RMP is getting at in the passages above is that gravity isn't a
> physical process. Nor is Quality. The fact that we "know" all about
> Newton and gravity makes us very certain about the "external" world
> existing apart from our own self. And the MOQ says that the idea that
> the world exists is a high quality idea. But it is only an idea. There
> is no way to be certain that there really is a world "out there" apart
> from the self.

[Mark]
I agree that Quality is not a process.  A world existing is more than
just a high quality idea, since it presents itself before ideas at the
pre-intellectual.  When it becomes more static, then it is an idea of
high quality.  The world is "self'.  It is the manner in which that
out there impinges on our personal awareness.  It is experience for
each of us, or Sensibility to use Ham's terminology.

> To answer your question: no. Quality isn't a process. It is an idea, a
> ghost of reason.

[Mark]
There is the Quality that we speak of through words and ideas, and
there is Quality that presents those ideas.  I wouldn't go so far as
to say that the latter is a ghost.  The former is the ghost of the
latter.  For certainly for there to be a ghost, it must be a ghost of
something.

I am sure this is discussed in Lila's Child, and I will do a word search on it.

Thanks again,

Mark