[MD] Words and concepts

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Sat Jun 11 23:48:52 PDT 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 3:30 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> dmb:
> Ironically, that's exactly what reification is: the inability to distinguish concepts from reality.

Marsha:
To reify represents a natural or inborn tendency, a common mental habit that leads to attachment and to suffering.  Part of the process of reification, as I understand it, is to remove the object or concept from its broader context.  It's often done to simplify a concept, to make it more understandable, manageable, more suitable to study and more memorable.  The problem comes when the context is forgotten and the definition becomes solidified and more "real" than the experience.

___