[MD] Words and concepts

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:21:07 PDT 2011

Marsha said to Horse:
I think a great place to look for "ever-changing" as I present it is in the MoQ Textbook 5.8.4 THE MOQ, DUKKHA AND AVIDAYA (IGNORANCE) ... I have meant what is very similar to what is quoted here.

dmb says:
No, Marsha. Your "evidence" does not support your assertion that static patterns are ever-changing. The quotes are not about static patterns. They are about DQ, the immediate flux of life, direct experience, the primary empirical reality or whatever else you what to call it. This can be shown by simply isolating the key phrases, all of which refer to the dynamic flux or reality. Look for yourself...

"... all aspects of our experience are in constant flux and change."

"...the fundamental nature of reality is change.."

"... just a flow of perceptions. ...an ever-changing flow of perceptions..."

"Experience is the central theme of Buddhism, not theoretical postulation and deductive verification".

See, it would make a heck of a lot of sense to post these quotes if you were interested in clarifying what Pirsig means by Dynamic Quality. But you're using it as supporting evidence for your definition of static quality. That's 100% wrong. The quotes describe exactly what static patterns aren't. Experience is ever-changing but theories and deductive reasoning are the static patterns we add. This is what the DQ/sq distinction is all about. You keep confusing the perceptual flux with the conceptual order, the primary empirical reality with the words and concepts that we derive from that reality. And as a result, your claims are incoherent and contradictory.