[MD] Free Will

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:27:16 PDT 2011

"It is, again, the capacity for choice that makes us accountable for
our own actions and states. Epictetus is particularly fond of
exploring the implications of this essentially Stoic conception.
In studying his usage it is helpful to remember that his favored
term prohairesis refers more often to the capacity for choice than
it does to particular acts of choosing. The word is variously
translated; the rendering “volition” is adopted here as in Long 2002.
The volition, Epictetus argues, is “by nature unimpeded” (1.17.21),
and it is for this reason that freedom is for him an inalienable
characteristic of the human being. The very notion of a capacity
to make one's own decisions implies as a matter of logical necessity
that those decisions are free of external compulsion; otherwise they
would not be decisions. But humans do have such a capacity and are
thus profoundly different from even the higher animals, which deal
with impressions merely in an unreflective way (2.8).
It is the volition that is the real person, the true self of the
individual. Our convictions, attitudes, intentions and actions
are truly ours in a way that nothing else is; they are determined
solely by our use of impressions and thus internal to the sphere of
volition. The appearance and comfort of one's body, one's possessions,
one's relationships with other people, the success or failure of
one's projects, and one's power and reputation in the world are all
merely contingent facts about a person, features of our experience
rather than characteristics of the self. These things are all
“externals”; that is, things external to the sphere of volition."