[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 05:13:00 PDT 2011

Hi Matt,

About an hour before getting your post I experienced a felt intention
to write to you to see what you thought about all this, so I was glad
to see this:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Matt Kundert
<pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steve said:
> Playing the causation game doesn't depend on any particular
> metaphysics. But once you start looking for explanations in terms of
> causes, the serpent of causation is found to run over everything.
>
> Matt:
> That's a good way of putting it.  One of the most powerful, succinct
> statements of this view--that once you start "playing the causation
> game" the viewpoint of morality based on free will seems to
> disappear before your very eyes--is Thomas Nagel's "Moral Luck."
> Nagel ultimately believes morality does need a notion of free will, but
> he nevertheless acknowledges how paradoxical the Kantian
> framework is (which he considers necessary to morality).  The idea
> is that free will is flexed when you have _control_, and Nagel's point
> is that when you look too close, you don't have control over much.

Steve:
I'll try to look up some of your references. Thanks for providing
them. What is your personal view on the matter of free will?

Best,
Steve