[MD] Free Will

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:42:32 PDT 2011

Hey Ron,

Ron said:
Epictetus contributes much to this discussion. I think ethical
development is the assertion of control in our lives. When we assert
control we assert  ourselves as reasoning human beings, when we
look close we must take care that we must concern ourselves with
that which can control, that ethical acts emerge from making such
distinctions.

Matt:
You might like Martha Nussbaum's book, The Fragility of Goodness.
Taking off from a standpoint about ethics inaugurated by Williams in
"Moral Luck," Nussbaum gives a reading of Greek ethical thought that
links Greek tragedy to Plato and Aristotle.  It's an interesting
conceptualization of an alternative to Kantian ethics, with close
readings of Platonic dialogues (including the Phaedrus and a discussion
of madness) and important Aristotelian concepts one will need after
you flush Christianized Kantianism.

Matt