[MD] Free Will

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Wed Jun 15 16:06:22 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 6:09 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> dmb says:
> Okay, now we're talking about the same thing.

> dmb:
> But I don't think free will is bunk so much as the metaphysical entity behind it.

Marsha:
What metaphysical entity woud that be?

> dmb:
> Same with the notion that reality itself is a series of causes and effects. That's very metaphysical too.

Marsha:
Any explanation come with this bit of wonderment?

> dmb:
> These are the two basic metaphysical substances in subject-object metaphysics, of course.

Marsha:
Which explains???

> dmb:
> But, as you almost point out, the MOQ does not dispute the idea that freedom and constraint are real.

Marsha:
Huh?

> dmb:
> The MOQ says DQ is the quality of freedom and sq is the quality of order.

Marsha:
Please provide the quote...  Or is it bit of wisdom snatched from another context?

> dmb:
> Without DQ nothing could grow or change and without sq nothing can last.

Marsha:
If you know this, please explain how this happens.

> dmb:
> Without static quality, DQ degenerates into chaos.

Marsha:
How do you know this?  Did you ever experience chaos?

> dmb:
> With DQ, static quality would fossilize or die of old age.

Marsha:
Hahahahaha...

> dmb:
> And it takes a living being to negotiate that balance.

Marsha:
What do you mean by living being?

> dmb:
> In that sense, freedom takes a lot of discipline.

Marsha:
Statically speaking, of course...   Sitting for hours and hours in zazen.  You know about that too.  Right?

> dmb:
> Static patterns don't determine what we will do but they limit what we can do.

Marsha:
Huh?  This is almost a good as you explaining how patterns and objects differ.  What nonsense...

___