[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:52:40 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Joseph  Maurer <jhmau at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> If metaphysics is open for discussion, in trying to uncover the truth in
> metaphysics what is the criteria for ending the discussion?  I say so?
> Obviously I have discordant views all the time since my will picks and
> chooses, and my will follows my metaphysics.  To be open for discussions you
> acknowledge an evolutionary position.  Maybe I'm not there!  Maybe I don't
> know! Unless you are a preacher!

There is no non-questing begging way to settle a dispute between two
metaphysical systems. That is why religions and philosophies
proliferate rather than converge. People who haven't studied a few
different systems deeply enough are often impressed by the fact that
their particular religion or philosophical system is logical and
self-consistent (i.e., Ham, Catholics, and any one who thinks that the
MOQ is the finally say on what reality is really like), but
self-consistent systems are a dime a dozen. It's best not to take any
one of them too seriously and join the conversation in a given
system's terms only so long as it serves the purposes for which you
started participating in that way of talking.