[MD] Free Will

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 22:14:47 PDT 2011

That's a good point, Marsha.  And helps me to rethink a bit...

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:

> I can't help but wonder...
>
> The topic seems all wrong.   Isn't the notion of free will (an intellectual
> static pattern of value) dependent the acceptance of causation?  MY
> CHOICE WILLED is the CAUSE of such-and-such independent EFFECT?
>
> Putting aside what it appears like for "normal people," is this true?
> Based on what?
>

> Marsha

 John:

And interestingly, I think the MoQ does provide a very well-thought response
to the conundrum you pose.  It was in Pirsig's statements of preference vs.
causation as explanatory devices.  Preference implies a choice in the
matter, and THAT, I believe, is fundamental.

John