[MD] som unplugged - corrected lines

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:10:40 PDT 2011

Hello everyone

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM, John Carl <ridgecoyote at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ho, Dan.
>

>>  Luckily (for me), they abolished
>> the draft the same year that I became eligible.
>>

> John:
>
> Me too.  We must be about the same age then.

Dan:

Could be. I turned 18 in 1973. Up till then, a man's eighteen birthday
was d-day... draft day. They'd pick numbers according to a guy's
birthday. If the number was anywhere close to yours, it was pretty
certain you'd be donning a uniform soon and shipping out.

> Dan:
>>
>> That's interesting, actually. It sounds like a great adventure..
>> seeing fresh places, meeting new people. Good luck with your
>> endeavors.
>>
>> John:
>
> It is interesting.  Both me and my wife had gotten tired of moving a lot as
> kids, so we thought we'd raise our kids in stability and kept in the same
> place the whole time they were growing up.  But now that I've gotten out of
> California, it's very interesting to get some new perspectives and meet new
> people.  North Dakota has the geographic center of the continent within its
> borders, so it's about as "mid America" as it gets I guess.  It's also the
> most religious of all the states, more churches, more attendance, and it's
> very much "mom and apple pie" normal.  Today I sat in my RV outside the
> library and listened to a ball game.  I don't think it was triple A.  I
> think more like double, or maybe just A, but it was baseball with uniforms
> and announcers and it's springtime in Williston, where the lawns are all
> mowed and the economy is booming.  An interesting place indeed.  Especially
> in contrast to elsewhere.

Dan:

I spent some time in South Dakota but I don't recall going to North
Dakota at all. Doesn't mean anything though. I could have been there
and just don't remember. I do remember traveling through the Black
Hills on our way to a pow wow. Indian country. We came across this
wrinkled old woman standing beside a dusty gravel road, wringing her
hands as if something was wrong. There was a little boy slumped beside
her. So we wheeled the car around and went back. Turned out she needed
a ride to a clinic some 20 miles down the road. The boy was sick...
her grandson, she told us... and she had no way to get to a doctor. So
we loaded them into the backseat of the car and took them to where
they were going. The boy never said a word. We wondered among
ourselves later if whatever he had was contagious but since none of us
got sick we figured it must have been appendicitis or something like
that.

> Dan:
>

>> And you too. Cool saw, btw.
>>
>> John:  You seen my saw???  Oh yeah!  My one facebook friend from MD.
>  Neato.  Yeah, she's a real beauty.  I'll have to post a pic of the round
> window trim I crafted with her out of two by twelve I fetched from the
> lumber yard in my RV.  The expression on the guys face when he helped me
> load that 10 footer thru the door...

Dan:

Yeah, do that. I'd like to see some good Quality craftsmanship.

Thanks, and stay well,

Dan