[MD] som unplugged - corrected lines

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:25:28 PDT 2011

Greetings Marsha,

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 3:19 AM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:

> Greetings John,
>
> I have chosen to read the shooting script for American Beauty.
> What a surprise.  Less than a hundred pages, much of it scene
> setup and white space.  The DVD series 'THE DIALOGUE: screen
> writer' has been so interesting I felt compelled to read a script for
> myself.   One can find libraries that have available the series from
> initial script to final shooting script.  I'd love to read a set.

I love good movies and that ranks up there with the best.

> Compelled by a multitude of causes and conditions, including a
> strong curiosity.   Some people generalize when they need to,
> but prefer to leave experience open whenever possible. Others
> are quick to make a judgement and seem to need strict order.
> And, of course, there are all variations thereof.  Nature?  Nurture?
> Habit.?  Evolution? Pattern described as a tendency?  Add an
> adjective...
>
>        My name is Lester  Burnham.  This is my
>        neighborhood. This is my street.  This ...
>        is my life.  I'm forty-two years old.  In
>        less than a year, I'll be dead.
>
> Patterns are interesting.  The MoQ is seriously interesting.
> Mr. Pirsig is a genius.   IM - not so - HO...
>
> I still don't know much about suffering.
>
> Yours,
>
> Marsha

Ah, let me offer you a very educational movie on the subject.  just finished
it and I think you'd like it a lot.  Suffering, yet beautiful and poignant.
 Never Let Me Go.  Here's how it ends, since I just watched it.

Past sunset, light in the clouds, dark on the earth a large tree dark in the
foreground...

Sad violin music...

voice over narration:

I come here, and imagine this is the spot where everything lost since my
childhood has washed up.  I tell myself, if that were true... and I waited
long enough... then a tiny figure would appear on the horizon across the
field and gradually get larger til I could see that it was Tommy.  He'd
wave.  And maybe call.  I don't let the fantasy go beyond that.  I can't let
it.  I remind myself I was lucky to have any time with him at all.  What I'm
not sure about, is if our lives were so different than the lives of the
people we saved.

We all complete.

Maybe none of us really understand what we lived through.  Or had enough
time.

Directed by Mark Romanek