[MD] Free Will

Joseph Maurer jhmau at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 14:09:54 PDT 2011

On 6/20/11 12:08 PM, "Matt Kundert" <pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Matt said:
> The trouble with Pirsig's metaphysical strategy, in specific relationship
> to the multifarious free will debate, is that his explanatory strategy is
> to treat Value as a primitive: you treat it as the only given, and explain
> everything else from that first step.  That strategy is very successful on
> a number of fronts, but not in explaining what value is, or how it works.
> How could it?  You've already been asked to cede its equipment as a
> given for explaining everything else.  This is why Quality can remain,
> explanatorily speaking, undefined.
<snip>

Hi Matt and all,

In trying to arrive at the primitive concept, I suggest that "existence" has
more explicative possibilities for evolution than "value".  Value has the
baggage of identity, hence is subject to intellectual logic.  In emotional
parlance value is a defined non starter.  Existence on the other hand is
open to everything knowable, even evolution.  DQ comes in the flavors of
evolution in existence.

A quibble about words.

Joe