[MD] The Meanings of Life

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:43:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM, david buchanan <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Steve:
> Pragmatism and the MOQ are all about the fuzzying-up? Really? Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Steve:
I never said that.

dmb:
> The two senses of the term "meaning" do not depend on d philosophical distinction between the content of an idea and the value of an idea.

I'm simply saying those are separate questions. In fact, the content
could very well be a value statement and the importance or
significance can't be known without clarity as to the content.

> To ask about the "meaning" of life in the first sense is to ask for the definition of the term "life".
> To ask about the "meaning" of life in the second sense is to ask about the nature of human existence.
>
> Being a MOQer or a Pragmatist does not alter the fact that these are two completely different questions. That was my point and you did not respond to it so much as you weaseled out of it. This is about YOUR sloppy use of language, YOUR misuse of the terms, not Pirsig's metaphysics or James's epistemology.
>
> Jeez, why can't you just say "point taken"? It's hardly a controversial point. Have you been taking bullshit lessons from Marsha or what?

Steve:
You still don't get it. Oh well. Pearls before swine.

You really don't understand much about pragmatism or Pirsig. I'd be
glad to help you, but you'll have to be more polite.