[MD] The Meanings of Life

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 24 07:31:27 PDT 2011

dmb says:
The students will be lead through those sorts of distinctions in the readings
leading up to the class on Pirsig. Basically, the question of the meaning of
life in general is associated with religion and old-style metaphysics whereas
the question of the meaning of MY life in particular is associated with
non-metaphysical, existential, humanistic worldviews. The first readings will
include ancient Plato and postmodern Terry Eagleton, for example. As I
mentioned, "the meaning of life" is the theme for the whole course and of course
there will be a whole range of ways to ask and answer that question.

Ron:
Having the suspicion that this one was aimed at my post, My response remains
that the more adequate
question, that Socrates asks, what does it mean to live a good life? which, in
essence causes one
to reflect apon the question of what is the meaning of MY life lends itself to
an introduction of value in
the Quality sense of the term.
The question "what is the meaning of life" then takes on an objective color
which may be an adequate

way to introduce the problem in a familier way, but you might have a hard time
introducing the humanistic
world view over the established prejudical foundation of the metaphysical
explanations of Plato.
Making it difficult for the average student to become truly interested in what
Pirsig is saying.