[MD] Free Will

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:00:07 PDT 2011

Hey Dan,

Matt said:
I didn't mean a textual ambiguity on Pirsig's part, but an idea I've
before called the indeterminacy of Dynamic Quality thesis.  I think
Pirsig is more or less clear about the difference between Dynamic
Quality and chaos.  What I meant is that the distinction between DQ
and chaos _comes along with necessarily_ the ambiguity between
them in the present felt experience of a person.  That's how I've
interpreted Pirsig's discussion of degeneracy on Lila 255-59.  Pirsig
asks the question, "how do you tell the saviors from the degenerates?"
 And then he moves back to descriptions of New York.  As far as I can
tell, he doesn't give that question an answer, nor anywhere else that
doesn't appeal back to the felt experience of betterness.

Dan said:
"It's the freedom to be so awful that gives it [New York City] the
freedom to be so good." [Lila]

I know he's talking about a city but he could just as well be talking
about degenerates and and saviors... the Zuni brujo, for instance.
In the midst of the darkness there is a Dynamic sparkle. What tells
them apart? I would posit the narrative of life; the stories they tell
(of) themselves. Isn't that what LILA is all about?

Matt:
Yes, but you aren't awful and good at the same time (at least, I don't
think that's what Pirsig is saying here).  Pirsig at that moment has
moved to talking about providing a structure that accommodates DQ.
And, he says, the only way to do that is to allow the good and the
awful (and hence, New York).

What Pirsig doesn't answer is how _you_ know for sure _you_ are
being Dynamic and not Awful.  I don't think Pirsig has an answer that
gives that certainty, I think giving an answer that gives that certainty
would be antithetical to Pirsig's project, and so therefore I codified
that thought as "the indeterminacy of Dynamic Quality thesis": in the
moment, there is no certain way to be sure whether you are acting
Dynamically or degenerately (i.e. tending toward chaos).

Your answer (which is my answer) is "the narrative of life."  This,
however, is a not a good answer to the question "how do you _know_
you are a savior and not a degenerate?" because it is a
_retrospective_ answer.  It says that experience gives you your idea
of when you are behaving well or awfully.  It says that only after
you've found out the consequences of your actions can you be in a
position to tell whether it was good or awful.  I think this is the right
answer, but it is also consistent with the indeterminacy of DQ thesis.

Dan said:
You seemed to be saying karma (karmic delusions, evolutionary
garbage) plays as a primitivistic notion. I tend to disagree. But at the
same time, I see a need to at least lean in that direction, at least in
the beginning. But of course I am not privy to your "non-Pirsigian
qualms." I was rather hoping you might expand on that.

Matt:
I don't have any more readily explicable thoughts about the dangers
of metaphysical primitivism.  In your reply, I didn't understand how
you were hooking up with any of those thoughts, so I have no sense of
what more should be said.  I also don't know what it means to
disagree with a "primitivistic notion" and at the same "lean in that
direction."  For "primitivism" to be a useful polemical concept, I would
not want to confuse it with the value of simplicity.  You might say that
primitivism is what you get when you start with the (laudable) value of
simplicity and (riskily) make it your only value.  Something like that.

The main thing that I avoid is the rhetoric of "delusions" and
"garbage."  It's those pieces of your vocabulary that make me think
something bad is going on (e.g., perhaps primitivism).  I don't see
the point in calling history/evolution/karma delusory or garbage.
There might be delusions and garbage floating around _in_ history,
but I don't understand the point of calling all of reality an
illusion/delusion (much like the concept of maya seems to).

Matt said:
I don't think what I said about primitivism clouds anything you said
here about karma.  But I also don't think anything you said here
justifies the description of (karmic) history as a "delusion."

Dan said:
I am sure you are much more familiar with Hegel than I. And
whether anything I say is justified, well, I leave others to decide that.
If you don't think I have explained my position adequately, then I
haven't. But it seems as if you agree with what I am saying, but are
using different words to do it.

Matt:
These are odd responses, Dan.  The sense of "justification" you're
talking about is, yes, of course others decide whether one is justified
in what they believe, but if the others don't think so--for a "talking
about" to count as conversational inquiry--they push back by pointing
to the places that need more/different justification (from their lights).
Pointing this general fact out about "whether anything I say is
justified" is a non sequitor in our focused conversation.  As is
whether you've "explained your position adequately."  It seems from
both of our standpoints, now, after a few turns of the email-exchange
wheel, that we both think that we agree with what each other is
saying but each of us is using different words.  However, above just
now in this email, and in the previous email's "But I also don't think
anything you said here justifies the description of (karmic) history as
a 'delusion,'" I've pressed you on a _specific_ item that I happen to
think calls for more justification _even given our agreement_.
_Those_ words, so I think, require more to be said about why one
would use them to make the point we agree on.  You are largely
saying the same thing as I would want to say with different words,
but part of what you're saying I wouldn't want to say at all.

It's perfectly fair not to have any more conversational justification at
this moment.  That's kind of what I just said with respect to
primitivism.  I don't use a strong version of "justify what you say" in
my conversations with people.  I think one of the oddities of this
discussion group is that people use stronger versions of "justify what
you say" requirements on _other_ people than they do on
_themselves_.  (So it seems to me after having watched the
discussions for these many years.)  I try (try!) largely to hold myself
to stronger requirements than I do my interlocutors, and that way at
least avoid looking like a hypocrite.  I think the best use of this
discussion group is just making as much explicit as you can at the
moments that you can.  I don't think we need to make rhetorical
flourishes like "I'll leave others to decide" because I think everyone
should just be taking that as a given.  If we took each other seriously
but lightly, I think people would get a lot better thinking done in the
confines of the MD and it would look a lot less like a bloodbath.

Dan said:
Whatever you think I am, or wish me to be, I am. I am defined by
family, friends, co-workers, everyone I know. Or better, who knows
me. That is how the narrative of my life is grounded.

It is  important to understand that I am not talking specifically about
me as an individual or you as a person. I am talking about social
patterns of quality and how those values inform us on who we are
and our place in the world.

That there is a dysfunctional narrative that informs us that we are
free to choose who we are and what we do doesn't mean that
there is a "correct" narrative, however. Is that what you are asking?

Matt:
I'm not sure anymore what I was asking.

I'm not saying there is a "correct" narrative.  However, I think we
should be able to agree that there are better and worse narratives
(by Pirsigian lights), right?

Given that there are better and worse narratives, I think I was talking
about changing from a dysfunctional narrative that uses a notion of
free will to suggest to people that changing everything about one's
life is as easy as waking up in the morning--to a functional narrative
that doesn't do that (options being Pirsig, or Dennett, or Hegel, etc.).

So, even if one grants that "the narrative of my life is grounded" in
the community one finds oneself (a preeminently Hegelian point of
view), that still leaves open the question about whether one can
change their narrative.  All your story did was punch up that it is
harder than Tony Robbins sometimes would lead you to believe to
change your life (though Robbins, in a reflective "off" moment would
probably agree, but respond that--in his "on" moments--his job is to
instill in his audience the _confidence_ that change is _possible_).
That you failed, when you got home, to become a mouse-like
vigilante just means that you were unwilling to break the (large
volume of) expectations other's put upon you by thinking they know
who you are (it could mean other things, too: like that you forgot
all about the fact that in Hawaii you desired to be Mighty Mouse).
That doesn't mean that you don't have the practical freedom to
choose to be someone else.  It just means that, on reflection, you
weren't willing to break all of those social proprieties.

Dan said:
Value implies preference while causation implies certainty, and if we
are looking at philosophy as predicated on every day life, nothing is
certain. So to use a causal chain of events to explain that philosophy
lacks the necessary grounding in what we are seeking to explain,
doesn't it?

Matt:
Oh.  I guess I don't think causation implies certainty.  You might say
that in my set-up of how stuff works, I incorporate "the uncertainty
of life" at a different level.  A causal relationship itself doesn't imply
certainty, because certainty only comes up for persons attempting
to adjudicate questions of causality.  "Hey Bob, did Sally cause
Steve's death?"  "Oh, yeah, I'm certain of it because I saw her do
it!"  The causal relationship itself doesn't establish certainty, but
rather the certainty of a causal relationship is established by
something else (e.g., observational evidence).

Matt said:
Now, given that's the case about that paper, it is also the case that
all of the reasoning is in the vocabulary of causation.  And you want
to press the point that using a vocabulary of preconditional valuation
would open up new lines of thinking about moral reasoning.  I'm still
not sure what they are, but the above at least serves to set straight
what I was trying to do with the vocabulary of causation.

Dan said:
Well, again, only the wording is different. I wouldn't want to press
the point further than that.

Matt:
I'm confused by what we've concluded about our conversation.  It
sounds like you've just suggested that you knew all along that we
are _just_ and _only_ using different wording, different vocabularies.
But if that were the case, why were your pressing any point at all?  I
assumed, because you were initially pressing a point, that there was
a difference somewhere, or rather, that using the vocabulary of
preconditional valuation wasn't _only_ different wording, but a
different wording that _makes_ a difference (to something).  I was
probing to see where that was.

Matt said:
The only way to articulate why I don't see the expansion is to say that
Pirsig isn't the only person to have given us a vocabulary in which to
talk about us as not only individuals.  The entire edifice of
post-Hegelian philosophy is directed at understanding humans as
culturally constituted, which is to say, as a set of patterns.  And none
of them has had to abandon the vocabulary of causation to make
sense of this expansion.

Dan said:
Interesting. So are you saying RMP is original on this point? And if so,
why is that a bad thing?

Matt:
Well, I guess two things: 1) I don't think Pirsig _has_ abandoned the
vocabulary of causation (which was what I meant before about "I
think it's a mistake to think that the MoQ 'does away with cause and
effect'").  I think he's merely shown an ingenious way of redescribing
causation in terms of value to help ease us out of a bad
substance-metaphysics.  But I don't think rejecting
substance-metaphysics entails rejecting the vocabulary of causation,
nor do I think Pirsig thinks so.  However, if I'm wrong about what
Pirsig thinks (particularly given that I haven't really studied him in a
long time), then I'd have to say that Pirsig is wrong, because I don't
think there's anything wrong with the vocabulary of causation once
one does away with SOM.  And, on top of this, if you really do think
that "only the wording is different," then you too functionally have
not abandoned the vocabulary of causation: you've simply given it a
different name.

And 2) my point wasn't that Pirsig's notion of preconditional valuation
was bad because it was different, but that it doesn't seem to be the
case that one _needs_ an alternative to the vocabulary of causation
to understand that we are not only individuals, but
individuals-grounded-in-communities.  That's why I don't see the
expansion.  If "only the wording is different," then the vocabulary
functions the same as before, does the same things, and hence
doesn't really expand anything.  There needs to be a difference that
makes a difference for a vocabulary-change to expand our range of
possibilities, and it's that difference I'd still press for.

Dan said:
I wouldn't put it that way... good freedom or bad freedom. Freedom
is without patterns, good or bad. Going against the grain of
convention is just another way of following static dictates; it is the
other side of the coin. When we are told what to do, we are also
informed as to what not to do. Are we not?

Matt:
I guess I get to easily caught up in thinking that freedom is a
commendatory term, given how closely people generally want to ally
"freedom" directly with "Dynamic Quality," which you appear
(thankfully) unwilling to do.  (I also didn't mean "going against the
grain" in the narrow sense of doing the opposite of expectation, but
in the expanded sense, as you roughly put it right before, of "not
doing what's expected," which is more than just the opposite.)

Dan said:
You say: "people today are less concerned..." but how do you know
that? Is it something you've read? Something you've come to
understand by talking to others? And how does one determine who
is competent (and who isn't)?

I take it your claim rests on socially accepted norms reported in the
media. But the media is biased too. A website like Beliefnet is liable
to report differently than MSNBC. So I am unsure why you say my
statement seems like a non sequitur. I am not saying you're right
or wrong, mind you. I am saying yours is an opinion based on the
opinion of others who may (or may not) be right.

Matt:
One determines competence by hopefully competent methods.  I'm
not trying to offer a method for any of these meta-determinations, but
make distinctions between different pieces of an equation (if you will).
For example, the distinction between how one lives their own life
(e.g., monogamously, polygamously, etc.) and how one thinks the
course of cultural history charts how people have thought about how
they should live their lives.  I was talking about cultural history and
you brought up asking Tiger's wife.  I'm suggesting that's a non
sequitor, because that merely tells us a little something about the
present and I want to talk about the present's relationship to the
past.

As for my own justifications for my claim (which one could judge me
incompetent), it is a vague assessment based on reading about the
past and talking to people (much less on mainstream media outlets,
which I have a slim intake of).  Amongst younger folks, it appears
that people care less about marriage than older generations do now,
and have in the past.  Here are my credentials: As a teacher, I
hobnob with a range of 18-year-olds.  Then there's my friends
(though that's a pool of limited generalizability).  But probably best
in my corner about the present is the fact that I've recently gone
through the process of getting married, and in talking to the (limited
number of) marriage industry people I encountered, they seem to
add evidence to the claim of less concern (based on trends they've
seen in couples getting married, particularly how they are getting
married).

How much justification is that about my perception of the present?
Well, not nearly enough compared to a sociologist who does
research on that kind of thing.  And I can't recall reading anything
about present-day marriage practices that might have impacted my
from-the-hip-ish claim.

However: say we make the entire 20th century one, big static block
of nothing-has-changed-in-the-last-100-years-about-marriage.  I
have read a few books on marriage and related social practices
about a few different cultures before the 20th century.  (Most
importantly, Georges Duby's Love and Marriage in the Middle Ages.)
This was never work done _for_ the discussion of marriage, but
rather research that was to impact in an acilliary way my real
objects of inquiry (most recently, Sir Walter Scott's The Bride of
Lammermoor).  But based on what I've read, I feel comfortable in
making the broad generalization that "people today are less
concerned about the practice of marriage than they used to be
(e.g., 2500 years ago)."

Matt