[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 07:38:11 PDT 2011

> We want to know whether we are responsible or determined for practical reasons.... And that's why we want to know about responsibility and determinism, because of the practical effects it has in human life. It's a human question, not a metaphysical mystery.

For what practical reasons do we want to know whether we are
responsible or determined? We would still need to condemn the
intention to do harm and praise the intention to do good whether or
not we think of people as subject to a chain of causality or free of
such chains (for the practical reason that we think that doing so has
predictable effects on others).