[MD] Zen at War

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Wed Oct 23 08:10:38 PDT 2013

dmb,

On Oct 23, 2013, at 10:40 AM, david buchanan wrote:

> Marsha said to Andre:
> What did 'illusion' mean to YOU when you posted:
> 'The world is an illusionBrahman alone is realBrahman is the world'
> In fact, I am not familiar with this MoQ ditty and I am unfamiliar with RMP's use of 'Brahman'. Please explain how this relates to the MoQ?
>

> Marsha said to Andre:
> ...And I still hold that the fundamental nature of the world is Quality, while static (value) patterns are useful projections (conventional reality).  Dynamic quality and static (patterned) quality rise and fall together.  From the Heart Sutra:  Form is empty. Emptiness is form: Emptiness is not other than form; form is also not other than emptiness.  --- I consider the MoQ's DQ/sq split merely a rhetorical device.  So now, complain about that.  :-)
>

> dmb says:
>
> It's funny how Marsha is baffled by the "ditty" about Brahman but then later asserts the same idea in a different form. Since they both have the same meaning, this strongly suggests that Marsha is just parroting phrases and slogans that she doesn't really comprehend.

Such a comment from somebody who tries to make "a case that James and Pirsig are offering a an empirically based form of philosophical mysticism that is comparable to a non-theistic religion like Buddhism." from somebody who does not cite even one book about Buddhist philosophy in the bibliography.  Your complaining never ceases to amuse me.  Why don't you share that little wunderkind's Master thesis with MD'ers, or at least encourage me to send a copy on to Dave Thomas.  Very pretty!  A real fluff piece!!!

You want to criticize my understanding of Buddhism.   Hahahaha.

> The world is an illusion = Form is empty
> Brahman alone is real = Emptiness is form
> Brahman is the world =  Form is not other than emptiness.
>
> OR
>
> The world is an illusion = static patterns are not reality = nihilism
> Brahman alone is real = Dynamic Quality alone is reality = 180 degree enlightenment
> Brahman is the world =  DQ is the source and substance of everything = 360 enlightenment

Not baffled by the ditty, baffled by Andre's clueless questions.   Poor Andre, like you, he seems unable to carry on an amiable intellectual discussion, and, like you, he seems to need to event a fierce rival to use as a foil.

Marsha

___