[MD] ZAMM resonances (no mention, but still ...)

Michael R. Brown mrb at fuguewriter.com
Mon Aug 11 08:37:46 PDT 2014

Romantic, then Classic:

“The thing is, I've been working on pianos so much, I look at a piano
and can tell if something is wrong, out of place. You know, because you
see the piano every day, you know that something's out of place, you can
tell right away.”

What Boot hears in a piano comes from 52 years of experience. He’s
learned the ins and outs of piano acoustics through practice and intuition.

Acoustic scientists at NYU have recently started to quantify that
information by mapping the sound that radiates from a piano. Picture a
seven-foot grand piano in a studio. The lid’s missing, so you can see
all the strings. Researchers suspend a rod embedded with 32 microphones
over the piano’s body.

-
http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-08-10/science-tries-understand-what-gives-piano-its-voice

MRB