[MD] George Steiner interview

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 15:16:46 PST 2014

Hi David,

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:20 AM, David Morey <davidint at blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:

> Thanks Dave that is great,  George's Grammars of Creation is a great book
> about transcendence if you fancy it,  all about the need to think about
> what may or may not lie beyond experience and how important this has been
> in human culture, this is not to devalue experience but it does suggest how
> speculating what might be beyond experience or what might be the source of
> experience is unavoidable when it comes to making the best sense we can of
> experience.

J:  I don't get you at all.  Asking what is beyond experience seems
nonsensical to me and I for one would hate to get caught doing it.  If you
can experience what's beyond experience then it's just more and bigger
experience.  If you mean our communal past experience... well we do that
all the time as time marches on.

Maybe I'm just confused.  that happens a lot.  But I'd appreciate any help
I can get.

dm:

> An interesting work that could, given an open mind,  help develop the MOQ
> beyond some of its self-imposed limitations as I see it. Of course,  George
> has also written about Heidegger as an alternative opponent of SOM so he is
> well aware of SOM problematics,  but like me he thinks that post-SOM
> thinking does not imply some sort of positivist prison of experience,  no
> matter how important it is to recognise what it is that we do and do not
> actually experience.
>
> All the best
> David M

J:  again, sorry, but I just don't understand.  "no matter how important it
is to recognise what it is that we do and do not actually experience."   I
don't quite follow.   I'd ask a more penetrating question but I don't even
know where to begin.  Would you mind reformulating that in terms an idiot
can understand?

Thank you.

JC