[MD] Proposed Wiki definiton of SOM

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 10:23:39 PST 2014

SOM is the belief that our reality, or some aspect of it, is ontologically
independent of our conceptual schemes, perceptions, linguistic practices,
beliefs, etc.

SOM may be spoken of with respect to other minds, the past, the future,
universals, mathematical entities (such as natural numbers), moral
categories, the material world, and thought.

SOM is promoted in an unqualified sense, in that it asserts the
mind-independent existence of a visible world, as opposed to skepticism and
solipsism. Philosophers who profess SOM state that truth consists in the
mind's correspondence to reality.

SOMists tend to believe that whatever we believe now is only an
approximation of reality and that every new observation brings us closer to
understanding reality.  In its Kantian sense, SOM is contrasted with
idealism. In a contemporary sense, SOM is contrasted with the MoQ primarily
in the philosophy of science.