[MD] SOM is what?

Ian Glendinning ian.glendinning at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 02:55:58 PST 2014

John said:

J:  I don't [think SOM is a social pattern].  I think our society
operates according to a philosophy that has SOM as it's metaphysical
basis.

But, I think John you were also trying to get at not just that it
"operates" that way, but that it does "necessarily so".

I think it does necessarily do so for basic linguistic reasons -
whether we think of the patterns as socio-cultural-intellectual, they
involve humans sharing ideas about reality, subjects about objects.

We necessarily operate in language "as if" our metaphysics was SOMist,
but that doesn't stop us actually holding that it isn't - and having
15 years of fun mis-communicating with each other on MD.

Ian