[MD] Anti-intellectualism revisited

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:13:20 PDT 2014

Ron,

On 6/11/14, Ron Kulp <xacto at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> John,
> But you insist Pirsig isn't accounting for something in his explanation
> Now why is that?
> Ron

Man, that's a big question, Ron.  In a word "society".  In Pirsig's
metaphysics, intellect is on top of society and distinct from it.  I
think this was the way Pirsig himself experienced life, but that's not
the general experience.  Metaphysics deals in universals, much more,
generals.  I think the MoQ is a slice out of a man's life.  But we all
know that we grow and evolve with time.  We're all, at least those
oriented toward Quality, getting better.  It's not that past thinking
was faulty at the time, but future experience reveals new aspects and
riches.

Described intellectual patterns, must always be outmoded.  therefore,
for the MOQ to survive, it must be dynamic, not static.  But after all
this time, I find voices here who through the conflicts and wars of
the past, are just more static and rigid.  The MoQ freed us from the
stuckness of that time.  Now who will free us from the stuckness of
the present?

This is my provisional  view, of "why is that" and by no means a final
matter or closed decision.  The MoQ was turned over to a community,
and that community-process has reveal the weakness of denigrating
social patterns.  Unless there is some rebirth, and embracement of
dynamism in thought, it's going to die.  That's the way of all life -
everything above the 1st level.

Another issue, what I consider a blind spot of sorts, is that when
you're so much smarter than everybody else around you, all the time,
its isolating in subtle ways.

Now dmb and Andre will no doubt jump all over me for "attacking
Pirsig"  but if you asked me on the other hand, all that he DID
account for in his explanation, that would take several books, but
nevertheless, this one point I'm harping on, is of importance.

The role of social patterns to intellect is crucial, to the proper
definition of intellect.

Thanks Ron,

John

Yours,