[MD] Sociability Re-examined

Craig Erb craig_erb at ymail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:19:56 PDT 2014

[Arlo]
> I don't worry about
 demanding every possible non-human activity be absolutely defined out of the social level.

That's not what Pirsig or I are doing.  Instead he and I are looking for criteria for the 3rd level and then seeing if it applies
only to humans or also to non-humans.

[Arlo]
> Bringing up rudimentary non-human social patterns is like bringing up algae or lichen when you are talking about the
> complexity of human physiology.

Agreed--that's why my example was about humans.

Perhaps we should look for examples of social immorality:
I promise to meet you, but don't meet up.
We agree to meet, but I don't meet up.
I intend to meet you (but don't promise to) & I realize you recognize my intention, but don't meet up.
You expect me to meet you and I realize this, but I don't meet up.
I intend to meet you, but don't meet up.
Which of these are humans but not animals capable of?
Which of these are 3rd level & which are merely 2nd level?
Craig