[MD] Sociability Re-examined

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:35:12 PDT 2014

The question of social immorality is a good one.  And it exposes a flaw in
the structure of the MoQ as I understand it - if the highest "good" of the
social level is celebrity
then what it takes to make me famous (or rich or socially rewarded) is
socially moral, right?  And yet we all know intrinsically that
there is something off with Machiavellian manipulation.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM, ARLO JAMES BENSINGER JR <ajb102 at psu.edu>
wrote:

> [Craig, previously]
> Perhaps we should look for examples of social immorality:
>
> I promise to meet you, but don't meet up.
> We agree to meet, but I don't meet up.
> I intend to meet you (but don't promise to) & I realize you recognize my
> intention, but don't meet up.
> You expect me to meet you and I realize this, but I don't meet up.
> I intend to meet you, but don't meet up.
>
> Which of these are humans but not animals capable of?
> Which of these are 3rd level & which are merely 2nd level?

I'd rather ask the more basic question Craig, where is the immorality,
exactly?  Morality seems to be of a higher plane, looking down upon the
problem in an objective way
and therefore of a higher level.  But if a behavior serves social and
intellectual standards, but betrays biological laws, can't it said to be
immoral on a more basic level?

And if you want an example, just look to about everything from the late
20th century to present.

JohnC