[MD] Dissertation re/Pirisig and Postmodernity

ARLO JAMES BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 16 08:28:04 PDT 2015

Hi All (Ant in particular),

First off, apologies if this has been shared before. It didn't come up when I did a keyword search of my email archives, so...

Below is a link to a dissertation, Nina Michaela von Dahlern (2012) at the University of Hamburg, "The Ethical Foundations of Postmodernity – Communicative Reality and Relative Individuals in Theory and North American Literature".

Beginning (primarily) on page 140 ("Deconstructing Traditional Values: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – An Inquiry into Values") and continuing through at least page 240 (including "The Creation of a New Ethics: Lila – An Inquiry into Morals") is some interesting discussion on Pirsig.

Ant, please note (if you had not already known) that your dissertation (and 'Intro' web article) is cited. :-).

http://ediss.sub.uni-hamburg.de/volltexte/2012/5740/pdf/Dissertation.pdf

I've only had a chance to glance this so far, but wanted to share for anyone interested in Pirsig's ideas within the academy.

Arlo